Fall Leaf Program
2020 FALL LEAF COLLECTION SCHEDULE - PICK UP WEEKS:
October 19th - November 2nd - November 16th for Areas #1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
October 26th - November 9th - November 23rd for Areas #6, 7, 8, 9 & 10A, 10B & 10C
The Town of Merrillville has been divided into ten (10) areas for collection purposes. Please check the list of areas to determine which one you live in, so you can prepare for your scheduled weeks of collection. Leaf collection will pass through the town three (3) times this season, which will provide each area a total of 3 pick ups.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF LEAF COLLECTION AREAS
Leaf collectors will manage Merrillville's residential yard waste ONLY, NO BRANCHES WILL BE COLLECTED. Because our leaf collectors are vacuum units, only loose leaves will be collected from the curbside or the edge of the street. It is each homeowner's responsibility to rake their leaves to the collection site in long, narrow piles.
FALL LEAF COLLECTION PROGRAM GUIDELINES:
- Before your scheduled collection week, please place your leaves in a narrow pile or row, in the grassy area between the sidewalk and the curb. If your area is without curbs, place leaves within five (5) feet of the street. PLEASE DO NOT RAKE LEAVES INTO THE STREET, also AVOID RAKING LEAVES INTO DITCHES OR DRAINAGE SWALES.
- Do not place leaves in cans or in plastic/paper bag. Only loose leaves will be collected.
- Keep parked vehicles off the street during your collection week. We will not return to leaf piles that are passed over due to vehicle obstruction.
- If your leaves are not collected immediately please be patient! We will maintain collection order all week, despite inclement weather of unforeseen delays placed out for collection should be free of oil waste, chemical contaminants, tree limbs, cans, rocks, bricks, garbage, or any other foreign objects and substances.
- Collection will begin each day at 7:30 a.m. Have your leaves raked and ready by the Monday morning of your collection week.