Construction Site Runoff Controls
|Uncontrolled stormwater runoff from construction sites can significantly impact rivers, lakes and estuaries. Sediment in waterbodies from construction sites can reduce the amount of sunlight reaching aquatic plants, clog fish gills, smother aquatic habitat and spawning areas, and impede navigation.
Phase II MS4s are required to develop a program to reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff to the MS4 for construction sites disturbing one or more acres. This primarily includes developing:
- An ordinance,
- Requirements to implement erosion and sediment control BMPs,
- Requirements to control other waste at the construction site,
- Procedures for reviewing construction site plans,
- Procedures to receive and consider information submitted by the public, and
- Procedures for inspections and enforcement of stormwater requirements at construction sites.